History of Bar Harbor Water
After a typhoid outbreak and 13 deaths of guests at the Bay View Hotel, area businessmen formed the Bar Harbor Water Company in 1874. The company constructed 1.5 miles of wooden flumes from Duck Brook to a reservoir on Scott’s Hill. 127 years later, the Town of Bar Harbor petitioned the Maine Public Utilities Commission to purchase the water company. Crane and Morrison Archaeology in association with the Abbe Museum prepared a history of the Bar Harbor Water Company The history of the Bar Harbor Water Company can be found online. The report was prepared by Crane and Morrison Archaeology in association with the Abbe Museum.
An unused stock certificate provides more insight to Bar Harbor's history.
Bar Harbor Water Division Staff
Personnel in the photo are listed from left to right. Jason Alley, the Water Distribution Manager, is not in the photo.
- Christian Gilbert, Office Manager and Business Analyst
- Dan Ranzoni, Maintenance Technician
- Mike Faulkingham, Maintenance Technician
- Bennett Liscomb, Water Treatment Plant Manager
- Jason Lawrence, Maintenance Technician
- Jason Alley, Water Distribution Manager
