Bar Harbor Code Enforcement's primary mission is to protect the lives, safety, and property of everyone who lives, works or visits our community. The department serves this mission through the enforcement of state laws and local ordinances related to shore land zoning, land use regulation, plumbing, subsurface waste disposal, electrical, life safety and building standards.
The Code Enforcement office strives to provide the public with the best customer service in an effective and efficient manner. Staff are available to assist property owners with questions and project development. The combination of education and enforcement is crucial to protect the health, safety and welfare of all.
Please contact us with any questions about residential or commercial building, construction, land use, addition or renovation projects. Visit us on Facebook.
Inspections and site visits are scheduled during normal operation hours; at least 48-hours’ notice is appreciated.
Online Permitting is Now Live!
The Code Enforcement Office is excited to offer the option to apply for permits online. This convenient new service allows an applicant to fill out an application electronically, submit plans, drawings and documents, and offers the option to search for permits. To view the list of permits available for online permitting and to begin the application process, click on the link below.
As we implement this new effort, we welcome any comments or suggestions you may have to improve the process.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What do I need a permit for?
- When is an inspection required?
- What is required for a permit application?
- Where can I find out more about Short-Term (vacation) Rentals?
- What qualifies as an egress window?
- Where can I get more information about requirements for stairs?
- What height should my deck railing be?
- Where are smoke detectors required?
- Where are carbon monoxide detectors required?
- Does the Town of Bar Harbor regulate fences?
- Can I operate a business from my home?