Bar Harbor Code Enforcement's primary mission is to protect the lives, safety, and property of everyone who lives, works or visits our community. The department serves this mission through the enforcement of state laws and local ordinances related to shore land zoning, land use regulation, plumbing, subsurface waste disposal, electrical and building standards.
The Code Enforcement office strives to provide the public with the best customer service in an effective and efficient manner. Staff are available to assist property owners with questions and project development. The combination of education and enforcement is crucial to protect the health, safety and welfare of all.
Please contact us with any questions about residential or commercial building, construction, land use, addition or renovation projects. Visit us on Facebook.
Inspections and site visits are scheduled during normal operation hours; at least 48-hours’ notice is appreciated.
- What qualifies as an egress window?
- Where can I get more information about requirements for stairs?
- What height should my deck railing be?
- Where are smoke detectors required?
- Where are carbon monoxide detectors required?
- Does the Town of Bar Harbor regulate fences?
- Can I operate a business from my home?