Land Use Information
Information About Potential Upcoming Land Use Amendments - June & November 2024
1. LD 2003 - Increased Housing Opportunities [June 2024]
Purpose: To be in compliance with the new state laws created by the bill LD 2003 which is meant to increase the housing opportunities in Maine.
- LD2003 Legislation (uploaded 09-14-2023)
- LD 2003 State Guidance Report - Version: February 2023 (uploaded 09-14-2023)
- LD 2003 In Effect Rules (uploaded 09-14-2023)
- LD 2003 Proposed Rules (uploaded 09-14-2023)
- Memo for the September 6, 2023 Planning Board discussion (uploaded 09-14-2023)
- Draft amendment language for the September 6, 2023 Planning Board discussion (uploaded 09-14-2023)
- LD 2003 - Increased Housing Opportunities Presentation to the Planning Board (uploaded 09-14-2023)
2. EMPLOYEE LIVING QUARTERS (ELQ) & SHARED ACCOMMODATIONS (SA) [June 2024]
Purpose: To expand the number of zoning districts where Employee Living Quarters and Shared Accommodations (1-3) are allowed.
- June 2020 ELQ & SA Land Use Ordinance Amendment Final Report (uploaded 6-07-2023)
- Background information and proposal details for Planning Board review at the June 7, 2023 meeting (uploaded 6-13-2023)
- Power Point Slides used at the June 7, 2023 Planning Board meeting(uploaded 6-07-2023)
- Watch the June 7, 2023 presentation by the Staff Planner introducing the amendment
- The presentation starts at 1:45:55.
- Simple handout defining Employee living Quarters (ELQ) and Shared Accommodations (SA)
- Updated ELQ/SA Table showing proposed and existing allowed uses - used for the August 2, 2023 Planning Board (uploaded 8-16-2023)
3. DESIGN REVIEW BOARD [June 2024]
- Add some properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places to the purview of the Design Review Board by adding them to Appendix A.
- Add and amend definitions related to design review and signage review.
- Simplify the review process for signs.
- Adjust the Design Review Overlay district boundaries.
- Minimize redundancy by removing Appendix B – Locally Significant Properties in Design Review Overlay District and all reference to it.
4. LODGING USES [November 2024]
Purpose: To simplify and minimize the existing amount of lodging definitions located in Ch. 125 Land Use Ordinance.
- DRAFT Proposed Lodging Uses and Definitions(uploaded 6-07-2023)
- DRAFT Table of Proposed Allowed Lodging Uses per Zoning District
- UPDATED DRAFT Table of Proposed Lodging Uses per Zoning District(added 6-08-2023)
- Watch the June 7, 2023 presentation by the Code Enforcement Officer (CEO) describing the proposed amendment
- The presentation starts at 1:27:15 and ends at 1:45:55.
- DRAFT Table & Definitions along with public comments of Proposed Lodging Uses per Zoning District(added 7-05-2023)
- DRAFT Tables - Existing Conditions and Proposed Changes(added 7-06-23)
- Power Point Presentation by the CEO at the July 5, 2023 Planning Board meeting (added 7-07-2023)
** REMOTE PARTICIPATION INFORMATION **
The Planning Board has adopted a Remote Participation Policy that allows it to use means of remote participation under certain circumstances.
To find out if remote participation will be an option, and if it is an option how to join a meeting via Zoom, go to https://www.barharbormaine.gov/282/Planning-Board.
All Planning Board meetings are broadcast live on Spectrum channel 7 (in Bar Harbor). They are also streamed online at https://townhallstreams.com/towns/bar_harbor_me and archived on that website for later viewing after the meeting.