Solid Waste and Recycling Division
The Bar Harbor Solid Waste Facility (Transfer Station and and Recycling Center) is a division of the Department of Public Works. Bar Harbor takes a proactive stance towards recycling. Our solid waste / recycling facility is located at 8 and 9 White Spruce Road in Bar Harbor. A permit is required to dispose of solid waste and recyclable items as described below:
Resident / Property Owner: The permit will be issued as a sticker which must be affixed to the inside driver's side windshield. Resident / Property Owner shall show a current local vehicle registration with plate number. If the vehicle is not locally registered, person must show a current local utility bill or tax bill. Resident / Property Owner permits are issued at the Solid Waste Facility, the Finance Department at 93 Cottage Street, or the Highway Division office at 50 Public Works Way in Hulls Cove.
Vacation Rental Properties: A permit sticker inserted in a hanger may be issued to the property owner (for the guest) at a cost of $20 per issue, or re-issue, to be renewed annually. The Vacation Rental must be registered with the Town of Bar Harbor. The information collected is: the sticker permit number, map / lot number of the rental, and the property owner name. Stickers allowed will not exceed the number of vacation rentals approved and registered. The hanger is hung on the rental client vehicle's rear view mirror. Vacation Rental permits are issued only at the Finance Office.
The Bar Harbor Recycling Center is a single sort operation. Currently, white goods and scrap metals are accepted at the Public Works Facility in Hulls Cove, off Crooked Road. Large items are NOT accepted in Bar Harbor and must be taken to Eastern Maine Recycling (EMR) in Southwest Harbor on Long Pond Road: the items include brush, wood, stumps, construction debris (fees charged); at no fee - carpets, furniture, and mattresses. An annual hazardous waste collection event is offered off-site, typically in the fall (the event is publicized when scheduled).
Bar Harbor's Recycling Center WILL accept the following single sort materials. Please EMPTY and RINSE all containers and FLATTEN and BREAK DOWN cardboard boxes:
- Clean corrugated cardboard
- Newspapers / inserts, catalogs, and magazines
- Office paper, junk mail, envelopes, paper bags, books and phone books
- Mixed paper, cereal boxes, and similar types of cardboard, egg cartons
- EMPTY milk and juice cartons, drink boxes
- EMPTY Plastics (#1 and #2) - water bottles, milk jugs, detergent bottles, rigid containers with a #1 or #2; NO caps.
- EMPTY - tin and aluminum cans, aluminum containers, aerosol cans, pots and pan; NO caps.
- Glass, aluminum foil, needles / sharps, knives and other blades
- Plastic bags, plastic wrap or film, rope, string, chain
- Plastic plant pots
- Styrofoam cups or containers
- Bubble wrap
- Batteries - button-cell, rechargeable or alkaline
- EMPTY glass of all types
- Fluorescent / mercury bulbs
- TVs, computers, monitors, electronics
- Propane tanks (empty)
- Waste oil