We encourage out of state couples to mail their completed marriage intentions form to the clerk's office in advance, along with payment and any other documents as required. Please note your signatures must be notarized. Office hours to pick up a prepared marriage license are M-F 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. (The deadline is a half hour prior to the close of business to allow adequate time.)
Everything you need to know about getting married in Bar Harbor!
Frequently asked questions...
Where do we start?
- Start by completing your
NOTE: Both parties MUST indicate what their Legal Name AFTER the Marriage will be. If you do not indicate a name change now, you will have to go through probate court for a name change in the future.
. (fillable form in some browsers)
Where do we file the Intentions form?
- Residents of Maine must file the Intentions of Marriage form in the town in which one (or both) reside. The ceremony can take place in Bar Harbor but the paperwork must originate in your home town.
- Residents of other states or foreign countries can file their Intentions of Marriage form in any Maine town and have their ceremony in any Maine town. For out of state couples, we prefer you submit your form by mail. Send the completed form, fee and court-certified copies of divorce decrees or certified death certificates, if applicable, to Town of Bar Harbor, 93 Cottage St., Bar Harbor, ME 04609.
What do we need when we file our Intentions form?
- If you submit your Intentions form by mail, your signatures must be notarized by someone in your local area.
- If you submit your Intentions in person, bring Photo ID (Driver's License, Passport or State ID with picture) and we will witness your signatures.
- $40 filing fee. (Cash, Check or Money Order made payable to "Town of Bar Harbor." Credit Cards accepted in the Clerk's Office but not by telephone or online)
- If either partner has been married before, they must bring or mail a court-certified copy of the most recent Divorce Decree (not a Settlement Agreement) or a certified Death Certificate. If mailed, these originals will be returned when you come in to pick up your license.
When can we pick up our License?
- You must pick up your license from our office prior to your marriage ceremony.
- If you mail the Intentions form, we will prepare your Marriage License for when you both come in to sign it.
- If you deliver your Intentions form in person, please keep in mind that while there is no “waiting period” in Maine, it takes at least 30 minutes to prepare a Marriage License. For Intentions received in person after 4pm, or during particularly busy seasons, the license may not be available until the following day.
When does our License expire?
- From the date your Intentions form is filed in our office, you have 90 days in which to have your ceremony. If you do not get married within that 90 days, you must return your license and start the filing process over again.
Who can perform our marriage ceremony?
- Ordained ministers.
- A person licensed to preach by an association of ministers, religious seminary or ecclesiastical body.
- Judges or justices (residents of Maine only).
- Lawyers admitted to the Maine Bar (residents of Maine only).
- Maine Notaries.
- In certain circumstances, the Maine Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) permits individuals from out of State to officiate a marriage if that person is authorized to perform marriages in his/her home state. Use this link to obtain the application for this authorization from the State of Maine, not from the town of Bar Harbor.
Do you have any suggestions on who should perform our marriage?
- Here is a List of Officiants that are available to perform marriages.
Will we automatically receive something to prove we are married?
- No, but at the time you pick up your license you may pre-pay (cash or check only) for your certified Marriage Certificate(s) and we will automatically mail them to you. The cost is $15 for the first Certificate and $6 for each additional certificate ordered at the same time. There is no additional fee for postage and handling.
Can we obtain a Marriage Certificate later if we need one?
- You can request a Marriage Certificate in person at the Clerk's office or by mail using a Marriage Certificate Application. Instructions are on the form. The cost is $15 for the first Certificate and $6 for each additional certificate ordered at the same time. There is no additional fee for postage and handling.
If you have questions, please call the Town Clerk's office at 207-288-4098 M-F 8:30am - 5:00pm.