- Article 4 "Short Term Rentals" Excerpt from Warrant for 11/2/2021 Special Town Meeting
- Short Term Rental Proposed Amendment & Explanation for 11/2/2021
- All Land Use Proposals for 11/2/2021
- Special Town Meeting Information for 11/2/2021
The Town of Bar Harbor defines Vacation Rental as the use of a dwelling unit or portion thereof for rent to a family for a period of less than 30 days and a minimum of five days. Time-share properties (33 MRSA § 591) are also included in this definition.
All vacation rentals must be registered with the Town of Bar Harbor on an annual basis, prior to rental. Previously registered vacation rentals must reregister on or before May 31 annually. Registration is under the management of the Code Enforcement Officer.
All vacation rental properties must pass an inspection prior to the issuance of the registration card.
- Vacation Rental Inspection Checklist
- Egress Window Requirements
- Fire Extinguisher Facts
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms
A inspection will be scheduled with the property owner upon submission of the completed form and payment of the registration fee.
A registration card will be issued after completion of the inspection and when all requirements are met.
The card will certify that the applicant has met all requirements and passed the required inspection.
The registration card must be posted on the premises of the vacation rental unit for convenient inspection by a vacation rental occupant.
Registration does not relieve the property owner from the obligation to obtain any additional permits necessary.