Degregoire Green, on the corner of Eden and West Streets was inspired and created in 2019 to add to the new Eden Street multiple use path. More specifically, a nicely landscaped, safe space with benches, shade trees, lights and a brick walking path.
This corner lot, the former site of the DeGregoire Hotel, sat empty and overgrown since the Great Fire of 1947 but has finally reached its full potential making the gateway to the downtown attractive, welcoming and befitting of Bar Harbor's reputation. The Town is well known for its beautiful parks so the bar was already set high for the new green to meet those standards and combine some old popular elements with the new while making a statement of its own. Interesting pieces include the old style fountain with it's four medusa head spouts, the memorial granite benches, the memorial to the fire of '47 and the stone pillar sculpture representing the many columns and chimneys left standing like silent sentinels after the fire swept through.
The land was provided by Joseph Cough and Lance Mahaney. Funding to build the park came mostly from private citizens and businesses, a small grant from the Town and with $50,000 in seed money and creative design coming from the Bar Harbor Village Improvement Association, the same organization that built the Village Green over 100 years ago.