Marriage License

(Please note as of 1/3/17: The State of Maine revised their marriage license process and it is lengthy.  We encourage couples to file in advance the completed required Intentions form. Mail or drop off the form to the clerk's office for processing, along with payment, notarized signatures, and if required, any additional documents.  Our office hours to pick up a prepared marriage license is 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.  The deadline is one hour prior to the close of business to allow adequate time. ~ Thank you for the opportunity for us to serve you efficiently.)

Everything you need to know in 5 minutes!

Quick answers to a few questions...

Where do we start?

Where do we file the Intentions form?

  • Residents of Maine must file the State of Maine Intentions of Marriage form in the town in which one (or both) of you reside. The actual ceremony can take place here in Bar Harbor but the paperwork must originate in your home town.
  • Residents of states other than Maine or foreign countries can file the State of Maine Intentions of Marriage form in any Maine town they wish. Regardless of the town in which you file this form, you may have the ceremony here in Bar Harbor.

What do we need to send in or bring in when we file our Intentions form?

  • If you submit your Intentions form by mail, your signatures must be notarized by someone in your local area. Your local bank may provide this service free of charge.
  • Photo ID (Driver's License, Passport or State ID with picture)
  • $40 fee. (Cash, Check or Money Order made payable to "Town of Bar Harbor."  Credit Cards accepted in the Clerk's Office but not by telephone or on-line)
  • If either partner has been married before, they must supply a Court Certified copy of their most recent Divorce Decree or their previous partner's Death Certificate.

When can we pick-up our License?

  • If you mail the Intentions form to us (the preferred method) we will prepare your Marriage License in advance and have it ready for you when you both come to sign it.
  • If you deliver your Intentions form in person, please keep in mind that while there is no “waiting period” in Maine, it takes about 45 minutes to create a Marriage License, longer if there are other customers ahead of you.

Does our Marriage License ever expire?

  • From the date on which we accept your State of Maine Intentions form, you have ninety (90) days in which to have your ceremony. If you fail to become married within that period you must return your license and start all over again including payment of the $40 fee.

Who can perform our marriage ceremony?

  • Ordained ministers of the gospel.
  • A person licensed to preach by an association of ministers, religious seminary or ecclesiastical body.
  • Judges or justices (residents of Maine only).
  • Lawyers admitted to the Maine Bar (residents of Maine only).
  • Maine Notaries.
  • In certain circumstances, the Maine Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) permits individuals from out of State to officiate a marriage if that person is authorized to to perform marriages in his/her home state. Use this link to obtain the application for this authorization and to obtain contact information. This authorization is granted at the State level, not from Bar Harbor.

Do you have any suggestions on who should perform our marriage?

  • There are many qualified individuals who perform marriages in this area. Here is a List of Officiants with whom we are familiar.

Will we automatically receive something to prove we are married?

  • If you would like a Marriage Certificate automatically mailed to you, be sure to leave funds with the Clerk when you and your partner sign your License. The cost is fifteen ($15) dollars for the first Certificate and six ($6) dollars for each additional copy. There is no additional fee for postage and/or handling.

Can we obtain a Marriage Certificate later on if we need one?

  • You can request a Marriage Certificate in the Clerk's office (in person) or by mail using a Marriage Certificate Request Application. Instructions are included on the form itself. The cost is fifteen ($15) dollars for the first Certificate and six ($6) dollars for each additional copy. There is no additional fee for postage and/or handling.

If you have any other questions or are unclear about these instructions, please call the Town Clerk's office at 207-288-4098.

marriage birds